Friday 14 September 2012

So, one year later...


I'd like to resurrect this blog as a means to provide motivation and perspective on my training.  In the 11 months since my last post running progress has been pretty good but has undoubtedly plateaued lately.  

The last year has been a really interesting learning experience.  I came into it with no real adult running experience though with relatively good all round fitness.  Translating this fitness to running whilst trying to avoid injury has certainly been a challenge.

The year has included another Ultra (42 miles), a marathon, and a few shorter races.  I'll not try to catch up with all of those in one go but perhaps look at each in turn.  I think i've learned that relatively minimal shoes work well for me, though there's always the nagging doubt in my head that i started down that route for fashion reasons and am now too scared to change for fear of messing things up.  Good advice i've read though says that if it ain't broke...

Shoes have also not been cheap.  in the 13 months since i started running, the total shoe bill adds up to around £470.  Ouch, hadn't quite worked that out before. As my mileage log only extends back to March i'm not sure of an accurate amount of miles in that whole period but i'd be pretty sure it's not more that 1500.   That's about 31 pence a mile!  Double ouch.  Though there probably are 400 miles left in a couple of the shoes i'm currently using.

Finally, it hasn't all been fun.  i did a parkrun a couple of weeks ago whilst feeling a little under the weather, unfortunately there's a photographer present for these events and the photo below shows just how much fun i was having.

No comments:

Post a Comment